Sunday, August 30, 2009

20 min of "free writing" inspired by Charles Johnson

“Me and my brother Loftis came in by the old lady’s window.”
--Charles Johnson

Me and Daley is hiding in the bushes by the lake. You can hear them coming and Daley is getting scared like he does and starting to shake. “Hush that.” I tell him, cause you can see bushes move and me and Daley don’t want to be back in the slammer. I hear the dogs bark and I know I got to do some quick thinking. Dogs will smell you, sure as shit they will. “We got to get in the water, Daley, get in the water.” I pull him along cause when he’s scared he don’t hear to well.
It’s cold, but if you know a better way to loose them dogs I’ll eat my hat. I go upstream, it just seems like the backwards tricky way to go. Me an Daley are famous robbers, just like Robin Hood, well, cept, we don’t give to the poor, we is the poor. When you’re famous robbers you gotta act backwards and tricky or they’ll put you in the slammer.
I don’t mind the slammer much but Daley gets real crazy stuck in there. Last time we was in he started saying, “I gotta breath, I gotta breath.” He was saying it over and over and then all of a sudden, bam, he just smashes his head into the wall. You should have seen the blood. He don’t think so good so it’s my job to keep him out.
Them dogs is barking up a storm behind us. I always thought they should muzzle um, yunno, so you wouldn’t know they was coming. Were running up the stream and Daley’s got the bag over his shoulder…

1 comment:

  1. i like the way you captured the southern-ness that was hinted at in the quote. good show ole chap.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I do organic gardening. I am a building manager. I like fresh pesto and some other things about life. I make blogs for fiction writing classes.

I AM BEN MILLER

I AM BEN MILLER

Followers